Yes, it is possible to bold text in LinkedIn messages. LinkedIn allows users to format text in messages using Markdown syntax. To bold text, simply surround the words you want bolded with asterisks (*).
For example, typing *this text is bold* will display as this text is bold when the message is sent. The asterisks around the text indicate to LinkedIn that the text should be formatted as bold.
When to use bold text
Bolding text can be useful to emphasize important points or highlight key terms in a LinkedIn message. Some common uses of bold text include:
- Highlighting action items or next steps
- Calling attention to key points
- Emphasizing names, dates, or other specifics
- Making headings stand out
However, bold text should be used sparingly. Overusing bold can make messages harder to read and the emphasis less impactful. As a general rule, limit bold text to 20% or less of the total message.
How to bold text on different platforms
The steps for bolding text may vary slightly depending on what platform you are using LinkedIn on:
- Type your message into the message field as normal.
- Surround the text you want to bold with asterisks. For example, *this is bold*.
- The text will appear bold after you send the message.
LinkedIn mobile app
- Tap the message field to compose your message.
- Type the text you want to bold.
- Highlight the text and tap the B icon to bold it.
- Send the message with the bolded text.
LinkedIn messaging on Outlook
- Open a new LinkedIn message window in Outlook.
- Type your message and highlight the text to be bolded.
- Click the Bold icon in the formatting toolbar.
- The text will appear bold before sending the message.
Tips for using bold effectively
Here are some tips to use bolding effectively in LinkedIn messages:
- Be selective – Only bold the most important words or phrases
- Avoid overusing bold – Use it sparingly for maximum impact
- Don’t bold entire sentences or paragraphs
- Make sure bolded text stands out from the rest
- Use bolding consistently for similar types of content
- Bolding naturally draws the reader’s attention, so use it intentionally
Limitations and considerations
There are a couple limitations to keep in mind when bolding LinkedIn messages:
- Bold text may not display properly if the recipient has disabled formatting in their LinkedIn settings.
- Bolding is not visible in LinkedIn notifications or message previews, so important info should not be bolded alone.
- Excessive bolding can make messages hard to read.
- Bold may not stand out as much on darker background colors.
Additionally, overusing bold text can seem aggressive or overbearing in professional communication. Use good judgment when deciding what to bold.
Troubleshooting bold text issues
If your bold text is not displaying properly in LinkedIn messages, try the following troubleshooting tips:
- Make sure the asterisks are directly before and after the text, with no spaces.
- Verify the recipient has rich text and Markdown enabled in their LinkedIn settings.
- Try using bold on a different platform or device to rule out issues.
- Restart your LinkedIn app or web browser to clear any caching issues.
- Check for LinkedIn outages related to messaging.
- Send a test message with bold text to yourself to isolate the issue.
If bold text displays correctly when sending a message to yourself, then the issue lies with the recipient’s settings or device. They may need to update their LinkedIn configuration to properly receive formatting. Bold text issues are often quick fixes.
Bolding text in LinkedIn messages is easy using asterisks (*) before and after the desired words or phrases. This formatting technique can draw attention to key points and make them stand out. However, bold should be used selectively and sparingly to maximize its impact. With the proper etiquette, bolding text is a great way to communicate more effectively on LinkedIn.