The short answer is yes, LinkedIn Premium allows you to send messages to any LinkedIn member without being connected. However, there are some limitations and things to keep in mind when messaging people you are not connected with.
What is LinkedIn Premium?
LinkedIn Premium is LinkedIn’s paid subscription service that provides users with additional features beyond the free basic account. There are three tiers of LinkedIn Premium:
- Premium Career – focused on job seeking
- Premium Business – focused on sales/business development
- Premium Hiring – focused on recruiting
All three Premium tiers allow you to send InMail messages to any member without being connected. InMail is LinkedIn’s internal messaging system that goes directly to the recipient’s LinkedIn inbox.
Who can you message with LinkedIn Premium?
With a Premium account, you can send InMail messages to any LinkedIn member, regardless of whether you are connected or not. However, there are some restrictions:
- You cannot message someone who has set their profile to “Private” mode
- You cannot message someone who has blocked you
- You cannot message someone who has opted out of receiving InMail from Premium members they’re not connected to
So while Premium opens up messaging capabilities, some members selectively limit who can message them. But the vast majority of profiles accept InMails from anyone with a Premium account.
What are the limits on Premium messaging?
While Premium members can message anyone, there are monthly limits based on which Premium tier you have:
- Premium Career: 30 InMail messages per month
- Premium Business: 50 InMail messages per month
- Premium Hiring: 150 InMail messages per month
Once you hit your monthly limit, you will not be able to send additional InMail messages until your next monthly cycle resets. You can purchase additional credits beyond the monthly limits, but most users find the allotments sufficient for typical needs.
Messaging etiquette with Premium InMail
When messaging people you don’t know on LinkedIn, it’s important to follow proper etiquette:
- Personalize each message with their name and something specific about their background/experience.
- Keep messages professional and free of typos/grammatical errors.
- Be direct and clear about your purpose for connecting.
- Avoid generic messages or spam – these will likely be ignored or reported.
- Respect it if someone does not respond – do not harass with multiple messages.
Following these tips will give you the best chance at a positive response when messaging new LinkedIn connections via Premium InMail.
Should you use Premium to message recruiters?
One common use case for Premium InMail is messaging recruiters at companies you want to work for. When reaching out blindly, focus your messages on:
- Why you are interested in their company/role
- How your background matches what they are looking for
- Questions about the hiring process
- A request to connect further via phone or email
Avoid sending your resume directly unless requested. Recruiters are more likely to respond if you personalize your message and show knowledge of the company.
Is Premium messaging worth the cost?
For most job seekers and sales professionals, the ability to directly message prospects is worth the Premium subscription cost. However, to maximize your investment:
- Target your messages carefully – only reach out to those aligned with your goals.
- Personalize and customize each message.
- Track response rates to refine your outreach.
- Follow-up effectively with those that respond.
Used strategically, Premium InMail can expand your LinkedIn network and opportunities. But mass messaging without personalization will not be effective.
Can messages backfire or get you banned?
It is possible to get banned from sending Premium InMail if you do not follow LinkedIn’s guidelines. To avoid issues:
- Do not send spam or unsolicited promotional messages.
- Do not harass members who do not respond or ask you to stop messaging.
- Do not use auto-generated or copied/pasted messages.
- Do not impersonate other people or falsify your identity.
As long as you use Premium responsibly, personalize your messages, and respect members’ wishes, you should not encounter issues with blocked accounts or bans.
Pro tips for effective Premium messaging
To maximize your messaging effectiveness with Premium InMail, consider these best practices:
- Research prospects beforehand – personalize with their background and interests.
- Craft messages that demonstrate value – how connecting would benefit them.
- Follow-up once or twice if no reply – then move on.
- Send messages from your profile, not Sales Navigator – more personal.
- Test different message styles and track response rates.
- Consider adding value first, like sharing an article, prior to outreach.
With refinement over time, you can learn what works best for connecting with your ideal prospects and targets.
In a nutshell…
- Premium allows direct messaging to any LinkedIn member, with some limits based on their settings.
- There are monthly caps on the number of InMail messages for each Premium tier.
- Message thoughtfully and personalized, do not spam or auto-generate messages.
- Focus on demonstrating value and relevance in your outreach.
- Use Premium messaging strategically as part of an overall sales or recruiting plan.