Yes, you can send messages on LinkedIn for free. LinkedIn allows all members to send messages without needing a premium account. Here’s an overview of messaging on LinkedIn and how to use it:
LinkedIn’s premium messaging service is called InMail. With InMail, you can message any LinkedIn member, even if they’re not in your network. InMail messages bypass the recipient’s inbox and are marked as important.
However, InMail requires a premium LinkedIn account. If you have a free basic account, you cannot send InMails. But you can still send regular messages for free.
Who Can I Message for Free?
With a free LinkedIn account, you can send free messages to any of your 1st-degree connections. Your 1st-degree connections are people who you are directly connected with on LinkedIn.
You can also message 2nd-degree connections for free. 2nd-degree connections are people who are connected to someone in your network but not directly to you. When messaging 2nd-degree connections, the recipient has the option to block you.
How to Send Messages on LinkedIn
Sending regular LinkedIn messages is easy. Here are the steps:
- Go to the LinkedIn profile of the person you want to message.
- Click the More icon (three dots) next to the Message button and select Send message.
- Type your message in the text box.
- Click Send to deliver your message.
Messages on LinkedIn have a character limit of 5,000. You can include emojis and attach files like photos or documents.
LinkedIn Message Tips
Here are some tips for messaging effectively on LinkedIn:
- Personalize your messages with a greeting and the recipient’s name.
- Keep messages brief and conversational.
- Ask questions to continue the dialogue.
- Follow up if you don’t receive a response.
- Avoid spamming recipients with frequent, unsolicited messages.
In addition to direct messages, you can send messages to groups of up to 50 recipients. This allows you to communicate with teams, colleagues, or clients in a single message.
To start a group message:
- Click Messaging from the LinkedIn toolbar.
- Click Start a group conversation.
- Select recipients from your connections.
- Type and send your group message.
LinkedIn provides a simple, user-friendly messaging system to connect with your professional network for free. Take advantage of direct messages and group messaging to build relationships, ask for advice, and share ideas.