LinkedIn has become an invaluable tool for job seekers and recruiters alike. With over 722 million users worldwide, LinkedIn is the world’s largest professional network and continues to grow. For job seekers, one of LinkedIn’s most useful features is the ability to indicate that you are “open to work” on your profile.
Displaying the open to work photo frame on your profile is a great way to get noticed by recruiters and showcase that you are actively looking for new job opportunities. LinkedIn also allows recruiters to search for and filter profiles that are open to work. This enables recruiters to easily identify and connect with relevant candidates.
Why Display You’re Open to Work on LinkedIn
Here are some of the top reasons to display that you are open to work on LinkedIn:
- Get noticed by recruiters – Recruiters can filter LinkedIn searches by open to work status, making it easy to find active job seekers.
- Expand your reach – The open to work profile photo frame catches people’s attention and spreads awareness that you are looking.
- Stay on recruiters’ radar – The open to work indicator will keep you top of mind with recruiters even when they aren’t actively searching.
- Surface new opportunities – Displaying that you are open to work can prompt recruiters to reach out about jobs you may not have considered.
- Demonstrate your interest – The open to work banner shows you are eager and serious about pursuing new opportunities.
How to Display You’re Open to Work on LinkedIn
Displaying that you are open to work on LinkedIn is simple:
- Open your LinkedIn profile and go to your photo.
- Click on the camera icon to open the photo edit tools.
- Select the blue “Open to” frame at the bottom of the photo editing options.
- Save your changes by clicking “Save photo.”
Once you add the open to work frame, it will appear around your profile photo any time your profile is viewed. You can remove or change the frame at any time the same way it was added.
Customizing Your Open to Work Settings
LinkedIn provides several options to customize your open to work status and preferences:
- Photo frame message – Select from preset messages like “Open to work” or write a custom message in the photo frame.
- Preferred job types – Choose full-time, part-time, contract, etc. This helps target opportunities that match your preferences.
- Preferred locations – List the geographic areas you are willing to work in.
- Notify recruiters – Toggle on to send a notification to recruiters that you are open to new opportunities.
Taking the time to customize these settings helps share key details about your job search with interested recruiters.
How Recruiters Search for Open to Work Candidates
Here are some of the ways recruiters can search for and filter LinkedIn profiles that are open to work:
- Location filter – Search profiles open to work within a certain geographic radius or region.
- Job type filter – Filter by full-time, part-time, contract etc.
- Keyword filter – Search for open to work profiles using relevant job titles, skills, companies etc.
- Open to Work filter – Filter specifically for profiles that have the open to work indicator.
- Recruiter filters – Use filters like “Open to recruiters contacting you” to refine searches.
- Advanced search – Combine various filters to drill down on very specific open to work candidates.
Recruiters can save these filtered searches to be alerted when new profiles matching the criteria become open to work. Advanced searches using multiple filters enable recruiters to easily identify the most relevant candidates.
Tips for Candidates to Get Noticed
Here are some top tips for candidates to get noticed by recruiters when displaying open to work on LinkedIn:
- Complete your profile – Fully build out your LinkedIn profile with experience, skills, education etc. Recruiters pay more attention to robust profiles.
- Customize your settings – Tailor your photo frame message, preferred roles and locations to be most relevant.
- Follow target companies – Stay up-to-date on your dream companies by following their company pages.
- Engage on LinkedIn – Comment on posts, share content etc. to boost your visibility and connections.
- Utilize advanced search – Identify and connect with recruiters from desired companies using search filters.
- Join industry groups – Join relevant LinkedIn groups to access specialized job listings and recruiters.
- Turn on recruiter notifications – Get on recruiters’ radar by enabling notifications when you’re open to work.
Implementing these tips will help you maximize your LinkedIn presence and get your profile in front of the right people.
Proactively Connecting with Recruiters
Here are some proactive ways to connect with recruiters when you’re open to work:
- Search recruiter profiles on LinkedIn and send connection requests with a personalized message.
- Engage with recruiter posts by liking, commenting and sharing.
- Follow companies you’re interested in and connect with their talent acquisition teams.
- Join LinkedIn groups for recruiters and hiring managers in your industry.
- Follow recruiters on other social media platforms like Twitter.
- Turn on notifications to alert recruiters when you’re open to opportunities.
- Attend in-person recruiting and networking events.
- Leverage your connections for introductions to recruiters.
Being proactive about connecting with recruiters is key to getting ahead of the competition and being top of mind for open roles.
Measuring the Impact of the Open to Work Indicator
Here are some ways to measure the impact of displaying open to work on your LinkedIn profile:
- Profile views – Monitor if you profile views increase, especially from recruiters.
- Search appearances – Track if displaying open to work makes you appear higher in recruiter searches.
- Recruiter connections – Assess any increase in the number of recruiters connecting with you.
- Recruiter outreach – Gauge any rise in the volume of recruiter InMails or messages you receive.
- New opportunities – Evaluate whether you see more relevant job openings after displaying open to work.
- Interviews scheduled – Calculate any increase in the interviews you get scheduled.
Monitoring these metrics helps determine the direct impact of showing open to work on the volume and quality of recruiter engagement.
Analysis of Open to Work Effectiveness
Analyzing the data and metrics gathered from the open to work indicator can provide valuable insights, such as:
- Identifying which recruiters and companies are engaging most with your profile.
- Determining if you are appearing in relevant recruiter searches.
- Finding which jobs and locations generate the most interest.
- Assessing the quality of opportunities compared to before.
- Understanding when and why recruiter engagement spikes or dips.
- Figuring out the best times/days to display open to work.
- Tracking the recruiter response rate to your outreach.
These insights can help optimize your LinkedIn open to work presence and job search strategy for the best results.
|Before Open to Work
|After Open to Work
|Profile Views from Recruiters
|10 per week
|30 per week
|Recruiter Connection Requests
|2 per month
|8 per month
|5 per month
|20 per month
|Relevant Job Openings
|3 per month
|10 per month
|1 per month
|3 per month
This table displays example metrics before and after enabling the open to work indicator. The significant increases across all metrics demonstrate its effectiveness for this job searcher.
Best Practices for Open to Work Job Seekers
Here are some top best practices for job seekers using LinkedIn’s open to work feature:
- Customize your photo frame message – Tailor it to your top skills or roles.
- Specify your preferred job type, industry, and locations.
- Proactively connect with relevant recruiters about open roles.
- Engage with recruiter content by liking, commenting, and sharing.
- Join LinkedIn groups in your target industry to expand your reach.
- Complete your profile summary, skills, experience, and education sections.
- Follow target employer pages to stay up-to-date on company news.
- Leverage your connections to get introductions to key recruiters.
- Monitor effectiveness by tracking outreach, views, and interviews.
Implementing these best practices can help maximize your visibility, showcase your strengths, and position you as an ideal candidate.
- The open to work indicator alerts recruiters you are seeking new opportunities.
- Customize settings like job type and location to attract the right opportunities.
- Measure impact by tracking metrics like recruiter outreach and interviews.
- Proactively connect with recruiters and follow target companies.
- Use best practices like custom messages and profile completeness to stand out.
Displaying that you are open to work on LinkedIn is a highly effective job search strategy. The open to work profile photo banner increases awareness among recruiters that you are seeking new opportunities. Customizing your preferences and proactively engaging with recruiters can further improve your visibility. Tracking key metrics enables data-driven optimization of your search effectiveness. Implementing best practices and getting creative gives you an advantage in standing out from the competition. With 722 million users, LinkedIn is the world’s most powerful professional networking platform. Taking full advantage of its robust open to work features can significantly boost your job search productivity and success.