As a job seeker, one of the key features of LinkedIn is the ability to upload your resume to your profile.
This allows recruiters and hiring managers to easily view your qualifications and experience when they come across your profile. However, as you gain more experience and skills over time, you’ll likely want to update your LinkedIn resume to reflect your latest accomplishments and roles. Knowing how to remove your old resume and upload a new version can help keep your LinkedIn profile up-to-date.
Why You Should Update Your LinkedIn Resume
There are a few key reasons why you should update your LinkedIn resume periodically:
- Showcase your latest experience and skills – As you take on new roles and develop new skills, you’ll want your LinkedIn resume to reflect your most up-to-date qualifications.
- Tailor your resume to specific job openings – You may want to customize your LinkedIn resume for specific positions you’re applying to.
- Refresh your resume’s look and format – Over time you may improve your resume format and design, so updating it on LinkedIn keeps its look current.
- Remove old, irrelevant details – If you have outdated experience or skills on your LinkedIn resume, it’s best to remove these to keep things concise and focused.
- Fix errors or typos – Updating your resume also gives you a chance to correct any typos or formatting errors.
Keeping your LinkedIn resume updated is key for making the best impression on recruiters and hiring managers viewing your profile. It shows you are dedicated to presenting your latest qualifications in the best possible light.
How to Delete Your Old LinkedIn Resume
If you already have a resume uploaded to your LinkedIn profile, you’ll first need to delete it before being able to upload your new version. Here are the steps to remove your old LinkedIn resume:
- Go to your LinkedIn profile page and click on the “View profile” button to access your profile settings.
- In your profile page, find the “Featured” section and click on the “Resume” item.
- On the Resume page, click on the three dots icon next to the “Media” section underneath your uploaded resume file.
- Select “Remove from profile” from the dropdown menu.
- A confirmation pop-up will appear. Click “Remove” to confirm deleting your resume.
Your old LinkedIn resume should now be removed from your profile. You can confirm it’s deleted by scrolling down your profile – the “Resume” section should now be empty.
How to Upload New Resume Version on LinkedIn
Once your old resume is removed, you can go ahead and upload your new updated resume to your LinkedIn profile. Here is the process:
- From your profile, click on the “Add profile section” button.
- Select “Resume” from the menu.
- Click on the “Upload a resume” button in the Resume section.
- Choose your newly updated resume file from your computer.
- LinkedIn will process your resume file. Make sure the extracted details look correct.
- Click “Save” to finish uploading your new resume.
Your latest resume should now be visible in the Resume section of your LinkedIn profile. Make sure to preview how it appears to others viewing your profile.
Tips for Your LinkedIn Resume
When updating your resume on LinkedIn, keep these tips in mind:
- Use a simple, clean resume format that is easy to read – Avoid complex formatting.
- Tailor your resume’s content specifically for each position you apply to.
- Only go back 10-15 years on your work history – No need for dated experience.
- Quantify your achievements and responsibilities at each role with numbers.
- Include relevant keywords that apply to your target jobs.
- Double check for any errors or typos before uploading.
Keeping your LinkedIn resume polished and updated can really improve your chances of getting noticed by recruiters.
Customizing Your Resume for Each Position
One important tip for your LinkedIn resume is to customize it based on the types of jobs you are interested in. Here are some ways to tailor your resume:
- Highlight skills and experience that the hiring manager wants to see.
- Place the most relevant sections at the top of your resume.
- Use keywords from the job description throughout your resume.
- Put emphasis on achievements that match the role.
- Leave out details that may not appeal to the employer.
Take the time to tweak your LinkedIn resume before applying to a new job opening. It can really make you stand out.
Formatting Your Resume for Readability
The way you format and structure your LinkedIn resume can impact how easily recruiters can scan it for key details. Here are formatting best practices:
- Use clear, legible fonts like Arial, Calibri or Times New Roman.
- Aim for 10-12 point font size for easy reading.
- Include sufficient white space between sections.
- Stick to standard heading styles like “Work Experience” rather than creative titles.
- Use bullet points to break up dense blocks of text.
- Align your content to the left for easy scanning.
- Place your most recent experience at the top.
With a clean, well-formatted resume structure, key details will jump out to recruiting professionals reviewing your LinkedIn profile.
Being able to update and tailor your LinkedIn resume is critical for putting your best foot forward in the job market. By regularly replacing your outdated resume with a new customized version, you can keep your profile competitive. Use the steps outlined above to seamlessly remove your old resume and add an updated copy that highlights the skills, experience and achievements most relevant to your career goals. Keeping a polished, error-free resume on your LinkedIn profile can help attract exciting new job opportunities.