Having a strong LinkedIn profile is crucial for any professional’s career development and networking opportunities. However, one of the first steps is actually locating your LinkedIn profile link so that you can share it with others and direct people back to your profile. There are a few simple ways to find your LinkedIn profile link depending on if you are on desktop or mobile.
Finding Your LinkedIn Profile Link on Desktop
If you are looking for your LinkedIn profile link while on a desktop, the process is very straightforward.
- Log into your LinkedIn account in your internet browser.
- Once you are viewing your LinkedIn profile, look to the web address bar at the top of the browser window.
- Your unique LinkedIn profile URL will be the web address that appears there. For example: www.linkedin.com/in/yourname
- You can click on the address and copy it (ctrl + C on Windows or cmd + C on Mac) to paste your profile link anywhere you need it.
So your LinkedIn profile link is simply the URL for your profile page. By copying that web address in your browser’s address bar, you can share it with others in emails, on your website, or anywhere else your LinkedIn profile link is needed.
Customizing Your Profile Link on Desktop
You also have the option to customize your LinkedIn profile URL on desktop to make it more memorable or professional.
- From your LinkedIn profile page, click on the “Me” icon in the top right and select “View Profile.”
- From here, click the pencil “Edit public profile & URL” button on the right side of the page.
- This will open editing options. Under the “Public profile settings” section you will see your LinkedIn URL. Click on “Customize your public profile URL.”
- Here you can enter a customized name to replace the default URL. For example: www.linkedin.com/in/john-smith
- Hit “Save” and your new custom URL will be generated.
Customizing your LinkedIn profile link is a great way to make it more memorable, professional, and easy to share with your networks.
Finding Your Profile Link on Mobile
If you need to find your LinkedIn profile link while on your mobile device, the process is just as easy.
- Open the LinkedIn app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Tap on your profile icon at the top of the screen to view your profile.
- Tap on the three dots “More” icon in the top right corner.
- Select “View profile.” This will open your public profile.
- Tap on the three dots again and choose “Copy link.”
- This copies your profile URL to paste anywhere you need it.
Similar to the desktop version, your profile link will appear as your unique URL on LinkedIn mobile. You simply need to copy it from the share options to obtain the link.
Custom URL on Mobile
To customize your LinkedIn profile link on mobile:
- Follow steps 1-3 above to view your profile.
- At the top of the page tap “Edit public profile & URL” next to your name.
- Tap “Customize your public profile URL.”
- Enter your custom URL and hit “Save.”
The customized URL will then appear as your new LinkedIn profile link to copy and share anywhere.
Sharing Your LinkedIn Profile Link
Once you’ve obtained your LinkedIn profile URL, you can share it on your resume, business cards, email signature, personal website, and anywhere else you want to drive people back to your LinkedIn profile.
Here are some of the top ways to share your LinkedIn profile link:
- Your resume
- Online job applications
- Your email signature
- Your business cards
- Your personal/professional website
- Your social media profiles
- Online networking and bios
Placing your LinkedIn profile link strategically provides a way for people to learn more about your background and experience and connect with you professionally.
LinkedIn Profile Link Best Practices
When sharing your LinkedIn profile link, keep in mind some best practices:
- Keep your profile updated – Make sure your profile is complete with your latest experience before sharing your link. This helps make a good first impression.
- Customize your URL – Having a customized, professional username in your URL looks more impressive.
- Use a link shortener – If needed, use a service like bit.ly to shorten your profile link for places like Twitter.
- Add context – When sharing your profile link, include a message explaining who you are and why you are sharing.
LinkedIn Profile Link Analytics
One benefit of having your own unique LinkedIn profile link is that you can view analytics to see how many people have clicked on your link to view your profile.
To see profile view analytics:
- Go to your LinkedIn profile
- Click on the ‘Me’ icon and select ‘View profile’
- Scroll down and click ‘See all profile views’
This will show you data such as:
- Total profile views
- Top locations your profile was viewed from
- Trends showing when you received spikes in profile views
Viewing your profile analytics provides valuable insight into when and where people are viewing your profile and how your link sharing efforts are performing.
Improving Your LinkedIn Profile Views
If you want to improve the number of views your LinkedIn profile receives, consider these tips:
- Share your profile link frequently via email signatures, resumes, and online bios/profiles
- Engage with your LinkedIn network by liking and commenting on updates to increase your visibility
- Join relevant LinkedIn groups and participate in discussions
- Follow companies you are interested in to stand out
- Ask colleagues, clients, partners, etc. for recommendations
- Promote your profile link during events or professional interactions
Making an effort to proactively share and promote your profile link and engage on LinkedIn can help boost profile views and expand your professional reach.
Troubleshooting LinkedIn Profile Link Errors
In some cases, you may come across errors trying to access your LinkedIn profile link. Here are some common issues and fixes:
|Page Not Found
|Try clearing cookies/cache and reloading the page. Or restore your profile from a backup.
|Double check the URL or re-copy your profile link to ensure it wasn’t incorrectly typed.
|Make sure your LinkedIn account is not restricted or deactivated.
|Retry loading the profile later. LinkedIn’s servers may be temporarily unavailable.
If issues persist, you may need to contact LinkedIn’s customer support for assistance troubleshooting your profile link.
Your LinkedIn profile link is the gateway to driving people to your professional presence on LinkedIn. By following the steps outlined above, you can easily copy your profile link on desktop or mobile. Share your link proudly on resumes, websites, email signatures, and bios to spread the word. And don’t forget to engage with your network and keep your profile up-to-date to get the most out of your LinkedIn profile.